Museum is Gift of Mrs. Singer
Post by: Jennifer Chapman Smith
Collections and Exhibitions Manager
On this date in 1928 the top headline of the Hagerstown Daily Mail read “Museum is Gift of Mrs. Singer.” The accompanying article stated that “Former Mrs. Brugh announces gift that will make Hagerstown one of leading art centers of nation” and the gift was “prompted by love for [her] community of birth.” This headline was followed by much planning and building and finally the Washington County Museum of Fine Arts opened its doors on September 15, 1931.
The Singers not only gave the funds to build the museum they also donated over 100 works of art to begin the museum’s permanent collection. These works of art began what has now become a nationally recognized collection of over 7,000 objects. Through the collections inventory project we are learning more about all of the works in the collection and just how significant the Singers’ gift to Hagerstown was and continues to be.
You will have the opportunity to learn more about William and Anna Singer when the Singer Memorial Gallery re-opens this summer!